Tuesday 13 March 2012

Beer 5 - Shepherd Neame, Late Red

Shepherd Neame, Late Red
Good evening everyone, tonight I am reviewing one of my favorite ales by Shepherd Neame, Late Red. I first drank this beauty in a little Village pub in Risely, near Reading. This ale was sent to me courtesy of Shepherd Neame.



                                                  Shepherd Neame, Late Red
                                        ABV 4.5%

Looks : Dark auburn / coppery colour with slight carbonation and a frothy off white spider webbed liked head, which disperses quickly.

Aroma : Sweet nutty caramel malt with hints of roasted grain and stewed fruity floral hops

Flavour : Nice nutty caramel malts with a dry bitterness with hints of roasted grain and stewed raisin or berry infused hops.  

Finish :   Long malty leafy bitterness

 

Rating : 8 out of 10





Another good ale produced by shepherds Neame. To me it is a typical Autumn ale. Late Red can be bought from most supermarkets or directly from the brewery http://www.shepherdneame.co.uk/shop/p-165-late-red-two-cases-of-8-x-500ml-bottles.aspx

2 comments:

  1. I think this one is average at best. Nice looking beer with some fairly interesting hop aromas, but very thin, rough in the finish even though it's of medium bitterness. There was also some unwanted diacetyl and metallic flavours in the bottles I've had. It'd be lucky to get a 5 if I was to give marks out of ten.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Barl Fire. I really enjoyed this beer but i do agree with some of your comments. As an Autumn Ale I think it has the flavours especially with the caramel malts and the dry leafy bitterness. Sometimes it can be really carbonated but this one was just right. I have had some bottles with a metallic taste but i have just put this down to a bad brew. It would be interesting if Shepherds Neame bottle conditioned this ale. There's a though, i might just ask them. Cheers

    ReplyDelete